Technical Advisor, Livestock Value Chain Inclusiveness – REGAL-IR
| Organization Adeso || African Development Solutions|
|Position Title||Technical Advisor (TA)/Livestock Value Chain Inclusiveness|
|Reporting to || Deputy Chief of Party |
|Working with||REGAL-IR core team, consortium members, 9-5-2 project partners and beneficiaries, NDMA, and other GOK stakeholders|
|Program/ Duty station|| Isiolo, with frequent travel to Marsabit, Turkana, Wajir, Garissa|
|Contract Duration ||1 year, renewable|
|Starting Salary Grade and range||International Grade D, Net salary: USD 48,000 –52,920 annually plus other competitive benefits|
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African-based international development and humanitarian organization. We assist communities to help them realize their full potential, working alongside them to create facilitative environments in which they can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing developmental assistance, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Currently, Adeso implements programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Resilience and Economic Growth in Arid Lands-Improving Resilience (REGAL-IR) is a 5-year program sponsored by USAID/Kenya and Feed the Future (Ftf) to reduce hunger and poverty, increase social stability and build strong foundations for economic growth amongst pastoralists and transitioning pastoralists in Kenya’s arid and semi-arid lands (ASALs).
The program is designed to “Do Business Differently,” that is to break the cycle of dependency on donor and NGO relief assistance and food aid. It does so by
- working through and with private sector actors for sustainable long-term market-based solutions to livelihoods, livestock sector strengthening and NRMs;
- empowering communities and encouraging their self-reliance to take charge of their development and resilience strengthening activities;
- developing Private-Public Partnerships to help communities and counties increase their social, economic, and environmental resilience to natural and human-induced shocks.
REGAL-IR is led by Adeso and is implemented by a consortium including Co2balance UK and its Kenyan subsidiary Carbon Zero Kenya (CZK), Finnish Church Aid (FCA), the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN), Sidai Africa, Ltd, and Vétérinaires Sans Frontières-Suisse (VSF-S).
Pending the outcome of an intensive community engagement process - Participatory Learning, Planning and Action (PLPA) - REGAL-IR facilitates activities in six thematic areas including diversifying livelihoods, improving value chain inclusiveness, natural resource management, conflict management and mitigation, disaster risk reduction, and improving nutrition. REGAL-IR is based in Isiolo Town and implements in Isiolo, Garissa, Wajir, Marsabit, and Turkana Counties.
The successful candidate will lead the strategic development and technical implementation of REGAL-IR Thematic Area 2: Advancing Livestock Value Chain Inclusiveness. Activities within this component include
- encouraging private sector solutions to improving livestock health and productivity;
- strengthening efficiency and equity in livestock and dairy value chains;
- enhancing business networks and PPPs to provide reliable, high-quality animal health products and services to livestock keepers.
The Livestock Value Chain Advisor will work in close cooperation and coordination with private sector companies such as Sidai and with key public stakeholders including devolved county-level governments, and other project stakeholders ranging from 9-5-2 Resilience Partners for Growth to Kenyan research institutions and community groups. Unlike many approaches to value chain inclusiveness, REGAL-IR emphasizes “doing business differently,” meaning that private sector actors must be fully involved in finding market-sensible, reliable, and sustainable solutions to livestock sector and value chain improvements.
This position is based in Isiolo town with frequent travel to REGAL-IR project counties, including remote areas. The TA/Livestock Value Chain Inclusiveness functions within the REGAL-IR Technical Advisory Team that includes technical advisors for other thematic areas. S/he reports directly to the REGAL-IR Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP).
The position aims to achieve three objectives: 1) To enhance private sector solutions to improving livestock production, animal health, and markets; and 2) to expand the participation of vulnerable pastoralist households, women’s groups and communities in the livestock and dairy value chains; and 3) to improve the performance and inclusivity of those value chains in order to enhance socio-economic development and to increase pastoralists’ resilience to drought and other shocks.
MAIN ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Lead strategy development and technical implementation in REGAL-IR’s Thematic Area 2, including:
- Promotion of private sector solutions to strengthening the livestock sector, value chains and markets;
- Analysis of constraints to VC inclusiveness such as high transaction costs, exploitation, limited market access, weak financial services, etc.;
- Propose interventions to overcome constraints and to improve benefits and profit margins for REGAL-IR target groups;
- Ensure effective implementation of VC activities in project counties through supervision, technical assistance and capacity-building to project staff, partners and others;
- Foster thematic integration and synergies in programming and implementation;
- Contribute to building and upgrading a strong network of REGAL-IR implementing partners.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Demonstrated knowledge of business practices, and experience in the private sector in livestock production, marketing and services;
• 3+ years professional experience in livestock value chain and market analysis and development in ASAL areas in Kenya;
• Minimum 3 years in supervisory positions;
• Experience working with pastoralist communities, governmental and traditional authorities in ASAL regions;
• Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills with fluency in English, Swahili, and at least one local language in the implementation counties;
• Proven leadership qualities, problem-solving and negotiation skills, and evidence of successful team player;
• Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Agricultural Economics, or relevant discipline desired – however, extensive practical, business-oriented experience is considered equally important.
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team and be part of building an African that is not dependent on aid but on the resourcefulness and capabilities of its people, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 31st March 2014.
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV (maximum 3 pages);
- An application letter and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position is only open to Kenyan nationals.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
| Adeso Headquarters – Kenya |
P.O. Box 70331-00400
M: +(254) 710 607 378
T: +(254) 20 800 0881
| Adeso – USA |
1250 24th Street NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20037
M: +1 (202) 510-4137
T: + 1 (202) 467-8348
Adeso – UK
CAN Mezzanine 49-51 East Road
London E1 6AH
T: + 442072508269
M: +44 7745 034395